Colorado Springs Chicken Newbie's

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dodson, Oct 23, 2010.

1. dodson

dodson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hello fellow chicken folks,

We are the Dodson's and we live in Colorado Springs, CO. We are not new to chickens (grew up on Iowa farm as a kid...it's been awhile) but are new to the idea of raising chickens in the city.

We have totally changed how we eat and started thinking about raising chickens in our little yard. We are thinking about 3 or 4 chickens right now. We are gonna brain storm and study this until spring. Winter is on its way and we didn't think it best to jump into this in winter.

We are in the process of remodeling a 110 year old home and building and backyard oasis that we would like chickens to be a part of. That mean a nice, funky, old style coup and possibly a run (not sure if we need a run or not...could just let them free range our back yard if possible). We will also be looking at the best laying breed for our area.

Any pointers you guys have would be great. Also, if anyone in our area has a backyard set up, we would love to stop by and see it.

Nice to meet you all,
    The Dodson's

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!! [​IMG]

3. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    Welcome from Michigan. You'll find yourself checking this forum every day.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Welcome From the Springs: Suburbia! I'm new to chickens to, I just go my first last June. 3 EE ladies from MPC. [​IMG] Make sure to remember The Rules when you build you coop; 4 sq feet per bird. I don't know what other birds people out here have but pritty much any 'cold hardy' bird would do well, so Road Island Reds and Barred Rocks are safe bets. There is a Colorado Poultry Association/Club. You can google them to get some more breed ideas. You could probably find some good connections at the state fair too. It's held just south of us in Pueblo, I think the next one will be in the Spring.

Have you tried Mypetchicken's breed finder? It'll let you sort for egg production importance, cold hardy, docilness...

Good luck and [​IMG]

5. ChickyD

ChickyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    Welcome from NH![​IMG]

6. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    [​IMG] From Southern Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

7. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  8. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Welcome! I have quickly become addicted to BYC, checking it everyday. [​IMG]

I have a serious chicken addiction, so when you are ready to acquire your girls, let me know. I would love to split an order. This would save both of us from high "shipping and handling" fees associated with small orders. I have an order of day-old pullets arriving on December 2nd, not yet sure what I will get because I ordered the 25 pullet Surprise Special from Ideal Poultry, but I am reasonably sure there will be some Easter Eggers in there. :)

[​IMG] I love my Easter Eggers, aka Ameraucanas, aka Araucanas, but E.E.s is correct unless you buy pure colors. People are amazed that blue and green eggs come out of the chicken that way. My 6 girls are happy in an unheated hen house here in Colorado.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hey guys! Welcome from Arvada! And yes you'll become addicted and the more you read about your future new family members the sooner you'll want them to join you. And the sooner you'll be planning the coop, and the brooder, and , and.....

Like Coopa said, join us on the Colorado thread. There are quite a few Springs folk on here [​IMG]

Cara

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by