1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colorado Springs newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmcollier14, Feb 28, 2017.

1. jmcollier14

jmcollier14 New Egg

Feb 28, 2017
    Hi everyone!!
    My family and I just moved from Georgia in november. We are currently trying to buy our first home and it has a perfect area for chickens!!:) I have always wanted chickens since I was a little girl. I am very new to everything. I would love any advice you are wiling to give. Our main goal is to raise our son and future children around as many animals as possible along with collecting lovely eggs. I am looking at getting maybe 2-3 as the area that has been pre-fenced isn't huge but a good ammount of room for them! I have no clue where to start. Should I start with chick's(mind you we all work full time and won't have much rasing time) or should I look at rehoming adult hens in hopes they are comfortable and produce? What is a good breed?

Thank you all again in advanced!!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, jmcollier, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I am in favor of starting with chicks but here are some pros and cons.
    Pros: you pick the breeds you want, they are cute as babies, you will have access to the full laying cycle of the bird.
    Cons: the time and work involved in getting them up to laying age, not sure of age of adult birds - may be toward the end of their production, not sure if they are healthy, not sure how calm or skittish they are.
    All that said, I prefer chicks - it is doable even of you work if you do your homework and set up the brooder correctly. The Learning Center has a baby chicks section you might like to read - it will provide some helpful insight: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And here's the Breeds Forum where you can compare various attributes among the breeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    And if you'd like to chat with fellow in-state poultry folks, locate the CO thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC, and enjoy the journey! [​IMG]

3. FBCMarans

FBCMarans Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2017
    White Salmon WA
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    My favorite breeds that I got from the farm store are Buff Orpington, cuckoo Marans, and speckled Sussex! Ameracaunas are also fun.
    Chicks are a good way to start.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Please make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself! :frow

~Cuz

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I am also a fan of starting with chicks. You do have to wait longer for eggs to come but getting them young gives you time to really get to know their personalities and for them to bond with you. Lots of people work full time and raise chicks, you can do it too.

I would recommend starting with 3 (or more)...chickens are flock animals and do better in a group setting. Plus, if you only get 2 and 1 should die (things happen sometimes) then you'd end up with a lonely only and will have to scramble to find it friends.

Best of luck to you, it's nice to have you here!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Have fun selecting your new chicks!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under jmcollier14 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. Garden Grl

Garden Grl New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    Hello Colorado peeps -
    I am near Longmont and I wonder if anyone knows of a chicken organization that does outreach at fairs and festivals? STEAM Fest is coming up at the Boulder County Fairgrounds and we would love to have someone able to address questions and showcase backyard chicken, the coops, etc. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Thank you!
    Gianna Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by