Colorado & Wyoming storms

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ilovemychickies, May 22, 2008.

1. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all! When I was checking the news a few minutes ago, I saw a headline that said that tornadoes touched down in Colorado and Wyoming. Are all you Colorado and Wyoming BYCers O.K? From what I could see from the pics of the damage, it looks like the tornadoes were pretty big and the winds were pretty strong. I hope everybody's ok out there! [​IMG]

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
  3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Okay here. Tornados went through this afternoon about a hour northwest from here, Ft. Collins. One was a mile across and part of a town near there Windsor, was taken out. There was a banker guy who headed to the day care in town and got all the kids out and brought everyone to the bank vault. At some point after that, the day care was destroyed. The town also lost its shopping center.

We also had a huge cell that came from the south of my town. I work 6 miles away and the place I work at has a basement that was once a bomb shelter so I hung out there till it passed.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We were in a meeting today and my co-worker had to dart off to call home - they live in Windsor. Tornado was like a mile wide her hubby said. They're house is Ok and so is her family. We live south east so thankfully nothing happened here. I was driving home looking at the sky and it was bad.

Hope everyone up north is alright. [​IMG]

5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Goodness gracious, that sounds like a heck of a tornado. I feel so bad for the people who lost their houses during the storm. [​IMG] But I'm glad that everybody's ok. Belongings are replacable. People aren't.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'm in Nebraska (smack in the middle) - we've had thunderstorms all night and tornado watch the next county over.....

Power was flickering there for a while - it seems to be settling down or moving away from us............

7. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    To all in Colorado; How many tornados do y'all normally have?

8. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Out on the eastern plaines by Kansas we get a few - last year we had one go through Holly which took out a lot of the town. Mind you the town is like 1/2 mile long. But over here on the front range we don't usually get tornados.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    The wind and such here in Nebraska is HORRIBLE - we had a tree go down in the back yard - LUCKILY I didn't let the chickens free range today - they might have been right under it!
    WInd is around 55MPH here right now... and raining with some lightning

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have lived out here for about 10 years and I have never seen a actual tornado. I am in the Northeastern part of Colorado, so it is plains, flat and alot of farm ground. So,w e get alot of watches and warnings, alot of funny clouds. We are under another watch right now, down graded from a warning 15 minutes ago. I rush from window to window as I am extreme paranoia without a decent basement. If I had a decent basement to go into, I would just stay there and I would have a lot less anxiety. My basement is small, and you have to go outside to go into it. It is a spider haven and I am terrified of spiders more than anything. With my luck, I would go down there, a tornadowould hit a tree would fall on the door and no one would come to look for me down there as everyone knows I am phobic of the basement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by