1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coloration?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ranit, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

I hatched this guy (in the middle) this year and am stumped with its coloring. I am not sure what type egg it hatched out of - guessing red golden. I have red goldens, yellow goldens and lady amhearst all kept in separate pens. I mark my eggs going into the incubator in case I have a fertility problem in a pen, but they all go into the same tray in the hatcher so all hatch together. It is much lighter than the red goldens but not as light as my yellow goldens. All my birds are supposed to be pure but you know how that goes. Have never had this before but I did pick up another pair of red goldens this year. Any body have any ideas?

2. ranit

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Nobody has any idea?

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    With so many people cross breeding,you will never know what you will get.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    You've got a cinnamon golden chick.

5. ranit

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I kinda wondered if it might be a cinnamon. Cinnamon is a mutation not a cross, correct? Looking at the eyes, it looks to be a hen.

6. Junglefowl

Junglefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    New Mexico
    Correct Cinnamon goldens are mutations and not cross. Your hens or male are carrying the Cinnamon gene.

7. ranit

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Thanks for your help on this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by