Colored Chicks? Crazy! Must see

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by avalonbirds, Mar 27, 2009.

1. avalonbirds

avalonbirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
  2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Some hatcheries sell these as well. I know Ideal hatchery does for one.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    OMG. Maybe under predators and pests?

I cannot believe this will lead to any quality of life for these chicks....

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Colored "easter chicks" is pretty common and also a HOTLY debated topic. So please keep that in mind when posting. A search can bring up past threads on the issue.

General consensus is that dyed chicks are just fine, but the issue is that it increases impulse buys by owners who may not see them as a living animal.

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I believe Ideal does not inject the eggs to dye theirs. I think they're adorable, but I don't particularly like the idea of the impulse buys. I'd rather buy white or yellow chicks and dye them myself at home, which I occasionally do to my white pets. About twice a year I notice the food coloring in the pantry and my dog gets to enjoy a pleasant brushing that makes him look like he was attacked by the Easter bunny.

This is him after he swam in the pond a bit, so the color is a bit more washed out than it was originally . . . I like the haphazard look best. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I see your point. What first irritated me was that nothing of interest to a chicken owner was included, not even breed. The article was journalism, not advertising, though. Perhaps my wrath should have been directed at the journalism.

I don't even have a problem with coloring chicks, as such. But I did wonder whether there is any research into whether this dyeing in the shell has any long term effects on the chickens that survive.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a problem with it because it is just not natural.

On the one hand it might introduce someone to chickens who might not have considered them before and thus begins a wonderful pastime.

On the other hand it might introduce someone to chickens who might not have considered them before and then they are not taken care of properly and end up dead.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    If the dye is non-toxic whats the problem? I mean come on "Ladies", dying your hair is natural? [​IMG] I bet there's probably more dangerous chemicals in the dye you regularly use to COLOR your hair than whats in that color dye *Smirk* [​IMG]

*Looks at picture of colored chicks* My Grandmother had orange hair like that one. And my grandaunt Tilly had blue hair like that one in the picture *ROTFL*

*Sits back and waits* (Grins)

The Proud One-Time Owner of An Orange, Blue and Red Easter Chicks

Gate

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    While the kids were at school on St. Patricks day, my unsuspecting white Silkie chick got attacked by some green food coloring lol. The kids got the biggest kick out of it when they got home.

[​IMG]

I could see if the animals were hurt in any way by coloring their fur/feathers, but they definitely aren't. So I can be added to one of the ones that doesn't understand the whole controversy surrounding this issue.

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    It's kind of strange. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by