Colored chicks for easter???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vkp23, Aug 6, 2009.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I read up on a 4-H website on how you can dye the fuzz on chicks and ducklings after see a vid about colored chicks. I was curious how they do it seeing as a coment on one of the vids said they do it while the chick is still in the egg. The 4-H article I read said that it's as smiple as a hypodermic needle and food coloring. Aperently you inject the egg with a small ammount of food coloring into the pointy par of the egg and then cover that with medical tape. And since the food coloring is veggie based it in no way hurts the chicks health. The color goes out of the chick as it grows and gets it's primary feathers. Has anyone tried this? I was thinking of giving it a go next spring when my chickens and ducks start to lay.

2. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Songster

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    Alot, and i mean alot of people are very very against doing this... be prepared for some not nice posts. plus i believe some states or areas may consider it illegal. i cant rememeber if VA is one of those states where you are not even supposed to be in posession of colored chicks. Anyways lots of peopl have done this, lots of countries do this, do a search on you tube, you'll find some vid's of colored chicks. i do believe there is a way to do it After the chick is Hatched instead of thru the shell. i know one of the big hatcheries dyes the chicks After they hatch, so you could always try and find out how they do it if your worried about harming the chicks. it might be ideal hatchery, but i cant remember

good luck

3. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I don't want to make anyone mad. Believe me I'm a big time animal lover and would NEVER do anything to an animal that has even a small chance of hurting it. Didn't know about the laws. I guess that could be because of some people using chemicals and not veggie based dyes. I personally don't see a problem with veggie dyes. They are natural and not harmful. I mean the reason flamingos are pink is because of what they eat. If they dont' get that particular food they turn white.Same for humans. Too many carrot are not harmful but = orange skin. Drinking too much silver soulution= blue skin but not harm. But chemical dyes? NO WAY! I was just wondering if anyone had tried it before.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    There was a BYC member that experimented with this and documented her experience. Let me see if I can find the thread for you.

5. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Sorry! I guess I don't know how to post a link. If someone can tell me how I would love it.

Anyway, go to search and type in I dyed my eggs tonight! with an * and it should pop up. I believe she even had some pictures.

I used food coloring and gloves to color my silkie! She was not happy! Pretty and pink, but not happy!

I hope this info helps.

6. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Thank you!

7. thechickenchick

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    You bet. [​IMG]

8. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Actually I can't find it. If you find the thread just copy the address in the address bar, them come back to this thread and paste it. Thank so much.

9. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Pefect!! Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: