1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

colored chicks for easter!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dntd, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Does any one sell the bright easter chicks in canada? I love the bright flocks of chicks, wouldn't mind blue and purple ones:lol: My DH thinks I'm nuts but I really do want rainbow chicks. Is thier anyway to do it yourself?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I have read about people bathing the chicks in food coloring (watered down) just be sure to wear gloves because the lady that did it ended up with rainbow fingers!!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

goodbye thread...

4. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    We dyed my white dogs head green with food coloring for halloween this year,gave her a mohalk and put on a punk colar.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:is this a taboo topic?

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    why?
    I see how it is now, but is it because of the ethics deal

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have heard it is unhealthy for the birds, but I do not know anything about it. I've never had the desire to color them...nor my dog. I did have a friend that had a green goat every year for a St Patricks Day parade. To me..it's kinda weird.

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:is this a taboo topic?

It's illegal in many places and most the animal rights groups are very opposed to it. Some believe (with pretty good stats to back it up) that colored chicks leads to impulse buys and a lot of chick deaths from neglect due to the new owners not having the first clue how to care for them.

I don't think the dye causes in problems in and of itself though so if you wanted to order some and have it be a do-it-yourself project.......Just be sure to check your local laws so you don't have Animal Services knocking on your door with a cruelty citation and sezure order.

9. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    As long as it's a breed I'm willing to keep, I don't see the big deal. Ok breeding animals for gifts for kids is wrong but it's a chicken, when easter is over you can have soup.I want 4-6 chickens in the spring for egg laying anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by