Colored chicks!! Updated Pictures July 7th!

fivestring

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Nashville Georgia
Here's my new additions. Went to the feed store this morning to pick up 2 or 3 colored chicks for the kids. Came home with 6.
hmm.png
I put them in with my 3 blue orps that just hatched. I know I should have kept them separate but I have no other brooder available at the moment so I'll take my chances.

18652_dscn9587.jpg

18652_dscn9590.jpg

18652_dscn9591.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Most if not all hatcheries color them while in the egg. They inject the dye via a small needle.

Not Ideal. This is copied from another thread.

12/04/2007 3:47 pm

idealpoultry
Out Of The Brooder
E-mail PM Website

Re: Dyed/Colored chicks @ Ideal Poultry?! Disturbing!!

I just want to clarify that the chicks are not dyed in the egg. The chicks that are dyed are primarily white leghorn males that would have been disposed of at a local leghorn hatchery that destorys the males as quickly as they are hatched. The chicks are colored with Adams food coloring and water and then put into an incubator to dry.

The poster that pointed out that it is the consumer's responsibility is correct. We have care instructions on each invoice and we also state in our sales information for the customers to check local and state laws concerning the sale of colored poultry. It is not illegal in Texas to dye chicks, actually only about 6-8 states haved banned the 'sale' of chicks within the state, even fewer have banned possesion, therefore they can purchase the chicks, they can just not resale them. But the laws do vary in some cases by city so we encourage our customers to be sure the chicks are legal in their jurisdiction.

As far as the colored chicks being meat birds only about 3000 of the 90,000 colored chicks we sell are meat birds. The others are male chicks that would have not made it out of the hatchery. If they can provide even a little joy for children for a while then why not offer that. Who knows it might just be the next subscriber to your board.

If you have any other questions concerning the process involved in dying chicks please contact me at [email protected]
e-mail us now Ideal Poultry

Visit Ideal Poultry now!

* Repo

Back
Top Bottom