colored duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Feb 7, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm anxiously awaiting my 5 month old ducks first eggs.... will they be white, blue, green, brown, pink, grey, yellow, orange, black, magenta???? do different ducks lay different eggs? like Easter Egger ducks? is there such a thing?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Off white and pale green are the two colors I.ve had with the ducks that I have raised in the past.

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    What breed do you have? Most ducks lay a big white egg, but there are a few breeds that give an egg with a green tint.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Supposedly I have blue swedish/mallard mixes, one is black with a tiny white bib, one is grey (like a blue swede) with a strange black bar across the left side/wing, one is yellow (not nearly as white as my chinese) and one is yellow with greyish feathers on the back , they all are sister/siblings... I assume all girls.... will different COLOR ducks make different COLOR eggs, even if they are totally sisters?

5. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    chickensducks&agoose :

Supposedly I have blue swedish/mallard mixes, one is black with a tiny white bib, one is grey (like a blue swede) with a strange black bar across the left side/wing, one is yellow (not nearly as white as my chinese) and one is yellow with greyish feathers on the back , they all are sister/siblings... I assume all girls.... will different COLOR ducks make different COLOR eggs, even if they are totally sisters?

I have some Blue Swed X Rouen mixes. There's a 99.999% chance they will all lay white eggs. Neither blue sweds nor mallard (or rouens) lay colored eggs. Are you sure they are mixed with mallards, or are the mixed with Rouens? Both breeds look identical, except that rouens are bigger.​

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Sorry to disagree, but rouens and mallards both can, and probably should, lay a blueish egg. Also, cayugas eggs are supposed to start out almost black, and get lighter as the season progresses. Other than those, I believe most lay white eggs. I think I've heard that a lot of call ducks lay greenish/blueish eggs, but I'm not sure about those.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Here is what I know from my experience. I never got plain white eggs. I got blueish eggs from my campbells, runners, calls, and east indies. I got greenish eggs from the harlequins, rouens, and swedish. The cayugas laid grey eggs.

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Really!? I never have, I wish mine were more jazzy! Maybe you do have a better chance.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My runners laid white or minty green.

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    pips&peeps :

My runners laid white or minty green.

I agree. When I had white runners, they laid a nice light green egg.​