Colored Easter Chicks

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KyleD., Apr 11, 2009.

1. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not, but what breed are they? I've always seen them and never really seen them grown up. So anyone know?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Probably white leghorns - they are the lightest chicks. Except white silkies and you don't see many of those colored.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Usually they are leghorn or cornish X

4. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I was thinking they woulde be white. As in those two breeds. Five of my friends have text me in the past two days and were like we have a colored chick. I start asking questions and theres NO heat ONE chick in just a plain ole box. Frustrates me lol. I was wondering if non experienced people could even get a cornish X to live past 3 months.

5. debilorrah

Kyle unfortunately that chick may not make it to three weeks with no heat and no companion. That is just sad. Makes me so mad. [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:If you are talking about the dye...
    There are many chicks that live until maturity, and many people on BYC have had them.

7. debilorrah

There are many chicks that live until maturity, and many people on BYC have had them.

No I am talking about Kyle's friend who bought one dyed chick and has no heat on it and it is alone.

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont

No I am talking about Kyle's friend who bought one dyed chick and has no heat on it and it is alone.

Oh, I got confused. sorry.

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I think the idea of coloring chicks for easter is a very cute idea but on the other side, I wish that the people that bought or ordered them actually had an idea what it takes to take care of them for the long run. I have 6 children and yes, before i was a chicken owner, I thought of getting these for a couple of my kids but I had no idea what to do with it after the novelty of getting one wore off. I am glad i waited and learned about what it takes to care for them. I would hope that the feed stores that sell them would educate their customers that this isnt a novelty and it cant be discarded like a toy that breaks can. With that being said....HAPPY EASTER! [​IMG]

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Selling chicks and rabbits for Easter is a very bad idea. I would bet that 90% of them die. When the cuteness wears off they don't care anymore. I actually witnessed a man teasing a pit bull with his nephews easter rabbit once. The rabbit mysteriously disappeared the next day. HMMM I cna't imagine how it happened. When the man saw me watching he stopped but we all knwo what happened. I did tell the boys father about it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by