Colored Easter Chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robnms, Jan 26, 2011.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I was wondering if anyone hatches chicks to color them for Easter and how do you get them colored without getting it in their eyes/feet/beak? I see them every year so where do they come from?

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    I think it's done by injecting the color into the egg. The color stays until the chick grows new feathers.

3. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Quote:So if I inject salt and pepper with a dash of Tobasco, I should be good to go for breakfast?

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:So if I inject salt and pepper with a dash of Tobasco, I should be good to go for breakfast?

[​IMG]

5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    Quote:I don't know about your breakfast, but here is how it's done. If that's what you wanted to know.

6. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    wow... I had no idea this was how that was done. [​IMG]

7. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I thought you were being funny, I'm sorry. I still can't believe you can inject dye into an egg that's in the bator, I would think it would effect the hatch rate. I would think it would be easier to put the dye in a spray bottle and paint'em up. Mardi Gras is coming, I might have some KOOL looking chicks to show off!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Can't name which ones, but in some states I *think* it's now illegal.

9. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Quote:I don't know about your breakfast, but here is how it's done. If that's what you wanted to know.

That site is probably not correct I have a copy of The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow and it shows and tells how to do it. It says to do it 1/2" from the pointy end but the site says to do it at the big end. In the book its talking about it as a way to identify chicks but it is the same thing as dying them for easter.

By the way I suggest that if anyone doesnt own this book but you own chickens that you add it to your collection because it is full of lots of great info.

10. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I started this just to see if some of us actually do this to make a few bucks, I never thought that you could inject dye in a egg still developing in the bator. Did you notice what day it would be to do the coloring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by