Colored egg hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tav1, Nov 5, 2015.

  1. tav1

    tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    273
    26
    121
    Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Lookin to add 2 more hens.....momma wants colored eggs.
    What breed is more available in the north east?
     
  2. cavemanrich

    cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

    3,331
    1,114
    296
    Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I would assume Easter Eggers are available in Ct. You never know what shade they will be until they lay. Olive,, green,, blue,,, pinkish,, or light brown.. I had 3 and each laid a different color. [​IMG]
     
  3. Julia62

    Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

    332
    21
    88
    Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    I have three EE's too and I can tell who's egg is who's! One is a yellow-green, one is more bluish, and one mint green.
     
  4. QueenMisha

    QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

    Do you mean strictly green or blue, or are you interested in colors like olive and chocolate?

    Easter Eggers typically lay green or light blue eggs. They are available pretty much everywhere and sold falsely as Ameraucanas, Americanas, or Araucanas. About 70% will lay green or blue and the other 30% may lay shades of brown, white, tinted, or pink.

    Ameraucanas lay blue eggs. You may be sold birds as Ameraucanas but unless you go specifically to an Ameraucana breeder who sells true Ameraucanas, you are most likely recieving Easter Eggers.

    Araucanas are one of the ancestor breeds of Ameraucanas. They also lay blue eggs, and similarly, in their true form only come from a breeder. A real Araucana will have ear tufts (not ear muffs) and be rumpless.

    Cream Legbars lay sky blue eggs but are considered a rare breed and can be difficult to find.

    Welsummers lay a dark, coppery brown egg, as do Barnevelders. Hatchery birds will lay lighter eggs than breeder birds.

    Marans lay a dark, chocolate colored egg. Some breeder stock may even produce near black at times, but even hatchery stock should produce a decently dark egg. The Black Copper variety lays darker eggs than the other varieties. The breed can be hard to come by.

    The Penedesenca lays an egg similar to that of a Marans. They are quite rare but an enjoyable addition to a flock.

    The Olive Egger is generally a cross between a blue egg layer and a dark egg layer. Some may come from multiple generations of breeding rather than a simple first gen cross. They are often bred at home by hobbyists but some large hatcheries have acquired Olive Egger stock.
     
  5. daxigait

    daxigait Overrun With Chickens

    8,993
    2,615
    366
    Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @QueenMishaso what is this one? [​IMG][/IMG]
     
  6. daxigait

    daxigait Overrun With Chickens

    8,993
    2,615
    366
    Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Photo 2[​IMG]
     
  7. daxigait

    daxigait Overrun With Chickens

    8,993
    2,615
    366
    Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I was told some were EE and some buff/EE
     
  8. QueenMisha

    QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

    Sorry for late reply. Really rather impossible to tell, because EEs have such mixed genetics it's impossible to predict outcomes for sure. That said, EEs with that much buff color are uncommon, so I'd tentatively guess it's one of the EE/Buff crosses.
     
  9. daxigait

    daxigait Overrun With Chickens

    8,993
    2,615
    366
    Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Thanks. She has funny feathering on her face and lays a pinkish egg. She is the only one I have with the face feathering (beard?)
     
  10. QueenMisha

    QueenMisha Queen of the Coop


    That is a beard. It is a common trait of Easter Eggers and a required trait of Ameraucanas.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by