Colored eggs and cholesterol ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDbeads, Sep 2, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    The older ladies I quilt with are well known for their old wives tales and I think I got another one today but I can't find any info disproving it to show them....

I was telling them about my eggs that were received today and let them know they were EE's (they all knew about EE's, remarkably) and one lady spoke up and announced that the blue tint eggs were lower in cholesterol than any other eggs out there according to her husbands heart doc who is about 10 years beyond the retiring point. So now... before they've even hatched I have women wanting to place egg orders [​IMG]
    What's the 'truth' behind this and where can I find something that disproves this? I'm thinking this was one of those little marketing tricks to get people to by the EE's and the like years ago. I've certainly never heard of such a thing and my whole family herds chickens and has for generations.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Old wives tale. I have read a study that free range eggs are lower in cholesterol, but it has nothing to do with the color of the eggshell.

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    That's what I thought.... man these ladies are driving me nuts with these old wives tales regarding chickens. It's crazy! (they honestly think I'm so young I just don't know but.... mid-thirties... Young but no longer gullible). If I can show proof to the contrary on anything they back off though, which is good.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been having the same wives tale "issues" with my husband's family...he has a brother (and his wife) who swear that the blue and green eggs are healthier/more vitamins/less cholesterol/etc. Then his Mom thinks the same thing about brown eggs, and she won't even eat the green eggs we've given her (we gave her a rainbow of colors). I started to explain about the egg shell colors, but didn't get far....I didn't want to be argumentative, so I just gave them a dozen blue and green eggs and they're happy [​IMG] And gave white and brown eggs to his mom and she's happy [​IMG]

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    So far the best one is the copper wire in the food/water.
    Been told that the only way to keep them from pecking each other is to put a certain amount copper wire in their food and water and let it corrode. [​IMG] We never did that when we had chickens before and never really had any pecking problems... though we did have them on balanced food instead of just scratch. These ladies only buy laying feed if the hens stop laying and back to scratch once they start up again [​IMG]

I laugh most of the way home from quilting every week with some of their 'rules' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by