Colored Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tressa27884, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I love the look of a mixed basket of eggs. I want more colors and speckles. I have one EE that lays a very very light blue egg - who has suggestions for other hens that lay pretty colored eggs.......

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think welsummers are prone to speckled eggs...one of my blrw lays a brown egg that is often speckled...I got one from her this morning that had lavender speckles on it.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Of course you know Marans are the 'chocolate' (dark brown) egg layers, and.... BPRs can lay really light tan that sometimes look pink. My BPRs occasionally lay speckled eggs too. Welsummers lay terracotta colored with speckles. Cream Legbars lay blue... Leghorns lay white, and most other back yard breeds, RIR, and the sex-links lay brown.

Have your checked the Henderson's chart? It can give you a good idea of the frequency and the colors by just going down that column on the chart. It's by John Henderson:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

4. FarmingForFun

FarmingForFun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    My Dominiques lay really larger cream colored eggs which does not seem like that great of a color until you see one they are BEAUTIFUL! I think that the cream colored eggs real round out a basket. My baskets consist of brown, cream, and blue/green.

5. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Thanks for the link! I'd never seen that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by