Colored leg bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by navychick, Aug 22, 2011.

1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    I read on a post here a bit back about using colored small elastic pony tail hair ties as leg bands. I bought a package and was excited to apply them to our flock (6 1/2 weeks old) to help identify each girl as an individual. We have 3 EE, 3 SLW, 3 PBR and 3 BO. I chose green, blue and purple. The band went on easily and fit great allowing a lot of room for growth but when I put her down to apply another band to another chick everyone ran to her and started pecking at her band. I removed the band for now until I hear from you experts. Will they lose interest or will they peck and cause injury?

2. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    Were you able to try putting a band on all the chicks to see how they would react all having a one on them?

3. navychick

May 17, 2011
    My daughter thought if they all had bands they wouldn't care so much. I just need advice,

4. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I have a few silkies I am trying to rehome and since I am getting rid of 3 out of 8 blue silkies and 2 out of 4 buff it would have been nice to be able to band them. I tried using the tiny colored zip ties and it worked well but I had the same pecking problem so I quickly removed them I only marked the ones to get rid of. I am going to try tonight to band all of them and see how that goes. I am also gona put them out in their run where they have more room to get away from each other for a while after I do it....... If it would warm up here anyway.......... kinda hard to pick out a single silkie out of 14 lil fluff balls running round when someone comes to take 1 home : ) And we have certain 1's that we do not want to sell so what to do?????

5. navychick

May 17, 2011
    Quote:Please let me know how it goes?

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I used plastic bands, and the chickens did the same thing for about 2 minutes and then they were on to something else. Try putting a treat in just after you band everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by