Colored Range Broilers or CornishX?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Gravedigger, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    Fair Hill, Maryland
    Which would be recommended for a first timer and why. I'm building a tractor for spring.

Thank You

2. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think I'll always prefer the Cornish cross. You put food out...they'll eat...butcher in 8 weeks or less. Easy as pie.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    CornishX. You wouldn't understand how nice the CRB's are until you've survived a few batches of CornishX's.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I would go with the cornish rocks too. Their growth rate is amazing but when it comes down to it, it's your prefrence.

Do you want a bird that is ready in 6-8 weeks or 10-12 weeks?

CRB have a little more flavor due to an older age.... Does a little flavor out weigh 4 more weeks of having them?

In a tractor the CRB's will consume more grass more quickly, They are meant to range *hence the name*. Compared to the Cornish Rocks that are bred for confinement. Broilers do well in tractors.... CRB's do better on an open true free-range style.

Ask yourself these questions and see what's best for you....

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I usually take mine in at 9.5 or 10.0 weeks, so the trade is closer to 2 weeks.

For us the flavor is one component. The mortality issue is why we no longer do CornishX. It hammers your bottom line.

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Yeah mortality is a big issue, they tend to be more fragile than the CRB's. When you lose 20 in a batch of a hundred.... which I've done..... makes the overall profit margin shrink. But practice makes perfect, the more you raise them the less you lose.

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:That's funny... but true...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by