Colored Range Broilers processed....for you number junkies!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bearfretworks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. bearfretworks

bearfretworks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Western MN
    Ordered 35 from JM Hatchery, born on June 3. Ate 4 over the past month, and took 31 into processor at 12 weeks of age. Just got them back all vac sealed and frozen, with giblets.

Smallest weighed 4.08 lbs, largest was 6.72lbs, average was 5.53 lbs per bird. We had 9 birds dress over 6lbs, 14 at 5-5.99lbs, and 8 birds 4.99lbs or less.

Fed 600 lbs of "Meat Maker feed, finished with 175 lbs of corn, and let them chow as many weeds and bugs as possible.

If I assume the 4 we ate would have survived and been "average size", then my FCR was about 4.1:1.

Adding in the feed, cost of chicks (including shipping, and cost of processing....we have $9.41 into each bird. I think we did good.

They taste GREAT too!!! Definitely raising these again.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'll have my dressed weights tomorrow night. I just took 48 in (I granted clemency to two pullets tonight).

I figure at 75 days I was 30# of feed into each one, $2 each per bird getting them here to the west coast and $3.75 for processing. I did very very well to get a good feed price this year at $0.28 per lb, which mid-westerners will laugh at. But for our region, that's the reality.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    are you shure about the FCR?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Here are the published FCRs:

http://www.hubbardbreeders.com/product_leaflets/REDBRO-S.pdf

I wouldn't expect to mathematically achieve those, though, raising the birds in a non climate controlled facility.

I counted 13 sacks left on the stack today, so that means my total feed was 1,350# so about 27# per bird. Maybe a little more ,maybe a little less. When I took them to the processor, they were a lot heavier than I would have liked.

5. bearfretworks

bearfretworks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Western MN
    Quote:I thunk so........

Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by