Colored Rangers and % Protein Needed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sovia, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I have my first batch of colored rangers arriving in the next day or so. Joel at JM Hatchery recommended that I use a 21-22% protein starter for two to three weeks then switching to a 18-19% protein grower until week seven. Finish them with a 16-17% protein content. Here in SD, I don't have those options for feed. I am able to get Homestead FastGrow which has 20% protein. Can I just feed that for the entire time?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Mine did just fine on 20% protein from hatch to week 11.

3. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Well, you just answered my question for me - I was going to call JM today and ask that question, too. I have a terrible time finding 50 lb bags of the chick starter/grower my Rangers are using...twenty pound bags are too danged expensive... but I can always find the big bags of 24 % starter for turkeys, quail, pheasant, etc. and wanted to know if I should switch to that. So thanks for making that call for me!!

Mine are now on (and will stay on) the Dumor 20% starter/grower. Thanks, sovia, you saved me a phone call! Good luck with your Rangers.

4. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    Great! That's good to know. I just got a call from the post office letting me know the chicks had arrived. They were chirping up a storm in the background![​IMG]

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:My post office called me 2 hrs before opening time and said I could pick up my chicks at the employees entrance if I wanted to get them before the PO opened . I could hear the noisy little buggers in the background and knew why the PO workers were suddenly so oblidging [​IMG]

If you have scratch grain sold in your area you can lower protein levels and cheapen the price of your feed by blending it into the grower mix .

6. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    Quote:I kept the phone message the PO left me the last time I got a box of chicks: "CHEEP CHEEP Hi Laura CHEEP CHEEP your chicks are in CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP come by the CHEEP back door any time CHEEP CHEEP" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by