Colored Rangers....run square feet per bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Smeamers, May 18, 2009.

1. Smeamers

Smeamers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    We're planning on turning our trampoline into a hoop house for meat birds but we're not sure how much space they need. We're going to order the Dixie Rainbows from S and G Poultry, so they'll take around 12 weeks to grow out. We've offered to raise some for my in--laws, but before we can tell them how many we can do, we have to figure out how many square feet per bird and how big we can make our hoop house. I'm assuming it will be heavy, but with two people we're hoping to be able to move it as needed. Thoughts?

2. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    About 2 square feet per chicken seems to work well for Cornish X. That's twice as much as conventional factory farmed chickens get. I don't think Rangers are fundamentally different, except that they grow more slowly.

But it never hurts to give them a little extra space. Last year, I had 15 of the Colored Rangers mixed in with 60 of my Cornish X's, so for the last 3-4 weeks of their lives, the Rangers had a lot of empty space (in a 10x12 pen). It seemed to work well for me. I processed the Rangers at 12 weeks, and they dressed at between 4 and 6.5 lbs.

I assume the Rangers from S & G are the same as the ones from J.M. Hatchery, which is where I got mine.

EDIT: Just thought I'd edit to add that I've been eyeing my daughters trampoline for the last couple years and thinking, "Gee. That seems like it would make a decent pen." Just make sure the rain-water has somewhere to go, so it doesn't pile up on the chickens or on the roof.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Someone posted recently about their trampoline coop. Their post was prompted by not being able to move it.

4. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
  5. Smeamers

Smeamers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
  6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    This is the post that I was recalling.

The trampoline hoop house is intriguing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by