Colored Zip Ties for Tagging Birds

Rainwolf

De La Menagerie
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Did you guys know that you can use rit dye to make your colored zip ties? This would allow you to buy a package/box of clear/white zip ties and make 10-50 colored ties! But it does take time and if you only need a few colors I'd suggest http://www.securecableties.com/

You
can only dye clear, white or gray nylon zip ties.

Using a old pan your don't care about... (not your favorite can't live with out pan
tongue.png
)
Boil enough water to cover the amount of ties you wish to dye.
Lower to a simmer and add dye color of choice
Place ties in the dye water and simmer for 5 mins (shorter time lighter dye longer time darker the dye)
Now here is the tricky part..... pull all ties out of the dye and rinse... then place back in to dye if needed (darken)
I suggest a mesh bag or a nylon bag of some sort (I use panty hose socks) so its easy to pull out at 5 mins. rinse. add back to dye. pull out at 5 mins. rinse. add back to dye etc etc etc

Ya all get the idea right?
wink.png

By The Time I Buy The Wht Zip Ties, The Rit Dye And Ruin A Pot... Eh I Will Just Buy Different Colors. But Thats Just Me And My Overworked Ways :p

It Is A Neat Idea Tho Rainwolf

Quote:
well of course
gig.gif

I was just posting a idea in case someone (like me) had a bottle of rit dye and a ton of white/clear ties and running out of colored ones.

and JJ it won't ruin a pot but said it so no one could blame me in case it did for some weird reason... such as leaving the dye in pot for days on end
tongue.png

I DUNNO RAINWOLF WHEN I WAS WORKING FIRE RESCUE WE WORE THE BALCK BDU (MIL SPEC FATIQUES) PANTS, DANG THINGS FADE FASTER THAN AN OLD CHEVY TRUCK RUSTS... ANYWAYS I WAS ALWAYS RE-DYEING THEM BLACK TO KEEP 'EM NICE LOOKING
hmm.png

I HAVE SEEN WHAT THAT STUFF DOES TO POTS
thumbsup.gif

I've had zipties last on chicken legs 2+ yrs. They would probably stay longer, it's just that we rarely keep a layer more than 2 1/2 - 3 yrs.

I was wondering about using zip ties as bands sounds like some of you have used them for years thanks for the info

Bigkenny77 keeper of 3 BCM and many other anmals & plants ( black bamboo is asome)

Back
Top Bottom