Colorful cockeral from pair of Buff ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Azulegg, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    What color is this? One of the cockerals that hatched this year from my buff ameraucana pair turned out very colorful! I know it's not SQ, but he is still pretty!

[​IMG]

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:The color is GORGEOUS. Wow. He is HUGE. Is it all fluff or is he meaty?
    Hugs
    CHristina

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

His coloring resembles a male salmon faverolle.

4. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    He is getting big - he will not be a year old till August 2009. His daddy is HUGE so I am sure he will take after his daddy.

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    The coloration is similar to the Salmon Faverolle rooster. I didn't see that till after you said it. He definitely has the Duckwing color pattern, but where the male SF has "straw" colored hackles and saddles his is buff. He is very pretty. And big.

6. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    He is golden duckwing

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    He should be yellow wheaten if he is from 2 buff parents.
    Salmon is silver based.
    Yellow wheaten often is a cross between silver wheaten (or salmon) with normal = gold wheaten, a cockerel only color.
    This yellow wheaten is a diluted (cream?) gold wheaten.

8. Azulegg

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Yes I thought he is closer to a golden duck wing in color. But that is interesting he looks also like a salmon F roo. It is a very pretty coloring.

As to his parents, momma ameraucana is pure buff - daddy ameraucana is darker but with a few green tail feathers (disqualification). I got these birds from a breeder, and I think somehow one of the parents (probably daddy) has a wheaten parent.

I'll have to get a picture of the daddy roo so you guys can see the size of this guy!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

I think you've got a couple of Easter Eggers there. The shank color on your Buff is wrong and the other male is not of any recognized variety.

See www.ameraucana.org for more info on Ameraucanas. You'll find me listed as a Wheaten & Blue Wheaten breeder. You can see pics of my birds on my website. Just click on the Ameraucana album.

God Bless,

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So both of those cockerels came from a pair of buff parents? Did the parents have the correct slate legs? I would say they have orpington in them due to the white legs.
    I love to gold duckwing, very pretty. The black tailed buff is interesting also.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but wouldnt both parents have to carry the gene for the gold duckwing/wheaton pattern for offspring to show it? Kind of like the silkied ameraucanas.

Another question about them. Did the siblings turn out correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by