1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colorful Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ironrosefarms, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ironrosefarms

ironrosefarms New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    We have raised Buff Orpingtons and Golden Commets for many years, rather plain looking birds who have been very good on our farm. Well, as we visited one of the local county fairs recently my wife pointed out the most colorful rooster I have ever seen (actually there was two of them). The tag said it was a Mediterranian. My wifes comment was she would love to use some of these to fill the new coop we just built.

So I am now in search of what bread these are, I have looked all over the net and can't find the colorful bird we seen at the fair. The birds did have white ear lobes, reds blues, and greens in the tail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

James

2. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Only Mediterranean breeds I know of with reds and blues in them, and iridescent green in the tail, are Buff Catalans and Buttercups. Both have white earlobes.

Did you happen to notice what sort of comb it had? A Buttercup has a doubled comb like antlers, but the Catalanas have a single comb.

Down side: Those big combs and wattles need a bit of fussing in the winter, if you live in a cold area. Otherwise they get frostbite.

3. ironrosefarms

ironrosefarms New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    They had a single comb... I should have snapped a picture with the cell phone. Wouldn't have been the greatest quality but sure would have helped out now that the fair is long gone.

Thanks

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Mediterranean class includes the following APA recognized breeds, each of which may have several varieties / colors:

Leghorns
    Minorcas
    Spanish
    Andalusians
    Anconas
    Sicilian Buttercups
    Catalanas

If you saw the rooster at a poultry show, most likely it is an APA recognized variety.
    In addition to the APA recognized breeds, some other Mediterraneans are:
    Castilians
    Styrian

To see pictures of these go to
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

Let
    us know when you find it.

Chel

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    [​IMG] It was probably a Brown Leghorn. They are very colorful and pretty common.
    Check out Cackle hatchery

6. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I vote for the Sicilian Buttercup. My boy is 14 weeks old and beautiful! I don't have any pics of him yet (just got him 2 weeks ago). Your wife would be thrilled!!!

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Have you looked at Feathersite? If you look at leghorns, it will show you some of the many colors they come in. Here is a link http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Leghorns/BRKLeghorns.html
    Most of the varieties there can be found easily here in the U.S. with the light brown and white being the most popular varieties. If it was a leghorn, most of the varieties can also be found in rose comb which is less likely to get frost bite in the winter if you are in a colder area. Most of the mediteranian breeds are flighty but there are some individual birds that are calmer.
    Hope that helped,
    Michael

8. ironrosefarms

ironrosefarms New Egg

Jul 19, 2007
    It definately was not a leg horn... (that would be easy and easy just does not seam to be an option for me) Out of about 800 birds their was only two of these beautiful birds and the tags said mediteranian. Both was submitted by a different participent as well. I have contacted the extension agency and they are supposed to be passing my phone number on to the organizers of the poultry barn from this years 4H so maybe that will pan out.

Thanks for the tries and sorry for taking so long replying to your kind help been having some computer issues.

James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by