Coloring chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jk47, Sep 22, 2015.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I was watching dirty jobs and Rowe was at a turkey farm and the worker was mixing the poult feed with green food coloring to teach them were the feed was faster. Have any of you ever tried it and has it worked I'm thinking of trying it with my next batch of chicks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've never had an issue with a bird not finding the feed [​IMG] Keep in mind, the conditions that the birds in a large, commercial operation such as he was likely in (is it the same one where he was doing AI on the birds?) are much different than for most home flocks so that sort of precaution is more likely to be beneficial.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm with OGM, my chicks always find the feed just fine. Water too, actually. Then again, I've heard turkeys aren't so bright....[​IMG]

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

There have been some studies that show turkeys tend to find 'green' feed more appealing, thus in a commercial farm setup where the chicks are not going to get one one one observation or optimal housing it's probably beneficial to make the food more appealing from the get go to hopefully prevent any issues...

Beyond that for most small operations it's likely not necessary at all...

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by