Coloring eggs naturally

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by WriterofWords, Apr 10, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I thought some might like this article, my class tried several colors but I forgot both my phone and camera so no pics unfortunately.

Celebrating Easter Nature's Way
    Dyeing Easter eggs is a fun tradition that’s been around for centuries. So, how did our ancestors make all of those bright colors back before commercial egg dyes were sold in stores every spring?

Making natural dye colors out of fruits, vegetables, and other everyday items you can find in your home or garden is both easy and fun. Everything from onion skins to grass can be used to make vibrant all-natural colors. Just throw the raw materials into the boiling water while you cook the eggs – you’ll need to boil each color separately – and you’re good to go! For really vivid color, be sure to add at least a half a cup of dyeing material, and two teaspoons of vinegar, for each cup of water you use.

In a medium pan, put in a single layer of eggs, enough water to cover them, and your dyeing materials. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the eggs and dye mixture simmer for about 15 minutes. If you want the color on your eggs to be darker, let the eggs soak in the dye mixture in the fridge overnight.

Here are some natural ingredients you can use for various dye colors:

Purple: Grape Juice, Red Wine, Violets (works best mashed into a paste with lemon juice).

Blue: Canned Blueberries (including the juice), Red Cabbage Leaves.

Green: Grass Cuttings, Spinach Leaves.

Yellow: Carrot Tops, Ground Cumin or Turmeric, Orange or Lemon Peels.

Brown: Coffee.

Orange: Carrots, Chili Powder, Paprika. Yellow Onion Skins.

Pink: Canned Beets (with juice), Cranberry Juice, Raspberries.

Red: Canned Cherries (with juice), Pomegranate Juice, Red Onions Skins.

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Thank you for that info

[​IMG]

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    You are welcome and I appreciate your taking the time to read and respond. I'd love to know if anyone else tries it. I couldn't believe we didn't get pics of the eggs at school, I forgot everything and never even thought to ask another teacher to take a pic with their phone! It was a very hurried event, but the colors were really nice.

4. lovemychicks2much

lovemychicks2much Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Mercer Co.
    thats a great idea but here i have already bought the commerical stuff one day i will learn all of this stuff thanks again

5. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    I have some friends that have children that are allergic to red dye and other commercial food colorings this info would will be very helpful to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by