Coloring Help on Chicks?? {I am stumped on this one!]

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 5Chickens, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    Can modern game bantam chicks have white on their belly/bottoms?
    The parents are the brown red variety. Chicks hatched today, some are pure old english game and two are supposed to modern games. There are a few blacks with yellowish/white on their bellies and bottoms. Is this normal or are they not modern games??

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You are asking two separate questions. First, post your question about what breed they are, along with photos, in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" section. Second, are you sure the parents are brown red? Yellow & white on bellies sounds more like blacks.

3. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    Quote:Sorry I guess I kinda messed up on the wording of my questions. My Old English hen had 6 eggs under her and I cant remember if I put the two modern eggs under her, or not. All hatched out and 3 are black,3 are a light cream/yellow. The creams are all different shades varying from the chipmunk look, a fainter chipmunk stripe, and just a faint splotch of brown on the head. One of the blacks are black with yellow splotches on face, chest,belly, bottom. The other two are black with just the white/yellow on bottom areas with just a tad on the belly. So I dont know if I just hatched all of the old english out or 4 old english and 2 moderns.
    I do not have pics of the modern parents, but going by the breeders club website, the hen looks like this...
    [​IMG]
    and the rooster, like this....
    [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, that is definitely brown red, lol. Might want to check feathersite to see what brown red modern chicks look like. I don;t know when moderns get their long gangly legs, but it would not surprise me for chicks to have slightly longer legs than other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by