1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coloring of a laying hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatsCountryCritters, Oct 15, 2012.

1. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Will someone please find me a picture of a hen who is currently old enough to lay, vs a hen who is still too young? I am told that a hen will be bright red when she is ready to lay, but then I have read that her eyes and face will go almost white? I am so confused. I can't tell if my hens are bright enough. My roos are much brighter than my hens. Will my hens be as bright fire engine red as my roos when they are ready to lay? I have 7 different breeds and they are all approximately 6 months and older and not one egg yet. I check on them at least twice a day.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    THe average lay time is 6 months, so they are right on the cusp of laying, I'm sure. It's not true that they'll turn white in the face, but they WILL turn very red. BRIGHT red. I'll see what I can find of my own personal pictures, but you probalby will not need them. Just watch them closely. You'll see the difference when they begin to turn red. However, it is late in the season, and they all may not begin laying this year, so don't get worried if you don't see eggs from every, single one of them. Oh, in terms of the shade of red, their combs and wattles will be as bright red as the male's combs and wattles. GEt your nest boxes ready! Do you have fake eggs in them? Some folks use golf balls, those never seem to work for me. I went to the craft store and got some wooden eggs. Place them in the nest boxes so the ladies know where to lay!

Okay, here is a lovely blue splash Isbar hen - see how her comb is the same shade of red that the cockerel's comb is? This pullet has been laying for 2 months now:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. KatsCountryCritters

KatsCountryCritters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    thanks. mine are almost that dark. I've had the nest boxes ready, just cleaned them out and put fresh bedding in. I put golf balls in and they ignored them, but they were too young nayway. I'll try some fake eggs if I can find some

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by