Coloring on Buff Wyandotte Chick.. is it Normal??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bleenie, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I just went and picked up my 8 new Buff Wyandotte chicks today, they will be my future layers [​IMG] . Well apparently the feed store i buy my chicks from changed their "rules" about the chicks or whatever because the guy had to get them out of the brooder for me instead of me just picking them out like before, kind of irritating but i was happy to get them.

Most of the chicks are completely buff in color but a few have the dark spots on their heads. I did notice that one of the chicks that has started growing in it's wing feathers has some dark-colored feathers, they're not just buff like the others, is this Normal for the breed?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

anyone know?

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    [​IMG]
    buff wyandotte chick
    NOT MY BIRD

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I saw another picture online of some BW chicks with dark spots on their heads too. but most of the chicks with the dark spots are coming in buff, just the one has darker feathers... [​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here's my Chicks: Most are like this, completely buff with no head spot. a few have the head spot. One chick has a head spot and is feathering in darker instead of just buff, is it correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See the chick behind the Muscovy duckling? That's the one that's coloring in dark.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    for feed store chicks its fine your not going to get SQ birds from the feed store but you should get good layers.
    good luck
    punky [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by