Coloring Question?? Black? Barring? Mottled? (Picture)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kellykate, Apr 12, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok so I have a question about coloring. What color do you think this little bantam mix will be? She is almost the exact color as my Australorp except it looks as if there may be some barring? Do most chicks who start out with the black and yellow feather out to all black -- like an Australorp? We think her mom may have been a Black Japanese or Spangled Old English and dad either a BR or Black Old English. Thanks for your help!!

"Nugget"
    [​IMG]

Here she is with a few buddies! Small, Medium and Large!! The Australorp is obviously the tallest but the same coloring!

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    mottle is recessive, so she would have to inherit from both parents to display any significant amount. I have heard that it can be leaky, so a small amount may show with only one gene.

3. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Oh ok that makes sense. I'm thinking this little pint-sized chick must be a Japanese x BR. So next question ... which is dominant black or barring?

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Barring is dominant but sexlinked.

5. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    So if dad was BR and mom was Black Japanese then if this little guy has barring it is a cockeral? Is that right? Thanks for your help with this!!

6. kellykate

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Or does look more like spangling? And maybe mom was the spangled OEG? Errr Wish I could figure this mutt out!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    So if dad was BR and mom was Black Japanese then if this little guy has barring it is a cockeral? Is that right?

No. If Mama was the barred bird, then yes, you would be correct, but since Dad dontributes equally to all his children, it could be either a daughter or son. And since the bird has only one copy of barring, the usual techniques of head spot size and lighter body colour won't work.​

8. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    The chick looks like a black. The white mottles disappear with age.
    Black Mottled japs are born white (with black neckspot).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by