1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colors of easter eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wendyba29, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

If I want certain colors of EE's like blue or white/cream what color chicks should I pick, I'm pretty sure the chipmunk looking ones are going to be brown, I'm thinking the lighter chicks will be lighter adults. Anyone know for sure?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My white with cream smudges was a yellow chick. My other three are all dark hens, so they were dark chicks. The chipmunk one is brown.
    I can't remember what my blue one looked like. Let me go find a baby pic for you.

3. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    You are on the right track. The chicks that have yellow down will be either white or buff colored. The red downed chicks will be red, and the black downed chicks will be black or black and red. The chipmunk striped ones are wild color patterned so the hens will be brown and the roos will be black breasted red. The blue down colored chicks will be blue, but you will probably have a hard time getting those. Most of those are Ameraucanas, not EE's. One of the interesting things about EE's is that the feather and egg colors are highlt predictable.

Where are you going to get your chicks?

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
    This grew into this-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This grew into this-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wendy, arabookworm just hatched some birds from me, some pure BRs and some mixed with my BR roosters over my other breeds, including my Blue Ameraucana hen. One is the most spectacular light lavendery color with faint barring. She just posted in Raising Chicks today. When Charlotte begins laying again, I'll be ready to collect eggs from my Blue and Black Ameraucana hens. My splash Ameraucana is holding out till Doomsday.

6. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    CityGirlintheCountry,
    LOVE that Blue [​IMG]

7. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

Ok thanks for the pics that really helps!! I'm going to get some chicks from the hatchery and I'll probably stop by the feed store and have some follow me home;) But that won't be until closer to spring time, I'm not set up for any babies right now, my husband said no more babies in the house:hit

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks, peewee! I think she's a pretty one too, PLUS she laid the first egg of all the EEs.
    She came from MPC and was luck of the draw.

9. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    CityGirlintheCountry. MPC is My pet Chicken right???

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ooh, is that blue lacing I spy? I think that color combination is soooo pretty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by