Colors on bantam blue salmom faverolles

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pegasuschick, Jul 12, 2010.

1. pegasuschick

pegasuschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    I have been breeding Bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles for over a year. All chicks have developed the normal color. This last hatch I got one male that is a splash. Same hens, same rooster.
    My question is does the blue gene in the faverolles act the same as other blue breeds in that there is a possibility for a splash in breeding blue to blue? Otherwise, how did I suddenly get a blue splash rooster?
    Thanks!
    Gina [​IMG]

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:yes, as far as i know, the genes work the same

3. pegasuschick

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    Thanks, I thought that might be true.
    Gina [​IMG]

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    Quote:if you are breeding a blue salmon to another blue salmon it is just like BBS breeding. you probably have a blue salmon boy and there must be a blue salmon hen in the mix. it is hard to see the difference of the salmon and blue salmon on the females. i've been reading that the one way to tell the blue salmon females is through the fluff color, but i am still unsure on that one.

5. pegasuschick

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    Yeah, my hens are all blue salmon. I think what happened is that my original roo bred one of his daughters so I got the blue on blue. I appreciate your comments.
    Gina

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have a splash salmon pullet. Here is a picture of her. The fluff and tail feathers on the splash pullets are white. It will have a blue cast on a blue salmon pullet and grey in the salmons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the splash salmon cockerel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pegasuschick

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    Thank you so much Keesmom! Your roo looks just like mine. I didn't know that about the hens. Now I have to go out and check to see if any have the white.
    Here is a photo of my young roo.
    Gina [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You may very well have had splash salmon or blue salmon pullets all along and not known it. They all have the salmon coloring, the fluff/down/tail feathers are the determining factor.

9. pegasuschick

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    I will check them tomorrow. This is the first splash male I have had though. I have had several normal colored males and I have been breeding them for about 18 months.
    Gina [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by