Colors to expect.

Peaches2

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2016
Upper Peninsua of Michigan
Al,
I just finished looking through the genetic color charts and still don't know what to expect as it was all in German or Dutch I think. If there was a way to translate the information into English, I couldn't find it.
Anyway....... I have a white silky hen (Desdemona). White coloring goes back three generations. My rooster(Othello) is Black with a gold threaded collar. His father and grandfather were both beautiful partridge and his mother and grandmother were white.
What colors might I expect from crossing these two?
Thanks for your input.
Peaches2

You'll get 75% White offspring. As for the other 25%, I'd guess you might get Partridge or you might get Black with gold leakage like your rooster, but it really depends on what color exactly the hen is hiding.

Thank you! Now I have a better idea of what to expect. I'm hoping for at least one partridge.
They're all under a year old right now so we will all have to wait until spring to see what transpires.
Thanks again,
Peaches2

Update: As I mentioned before, I have a dark partridge roo with gold threads. Father was partridge and mother was white. I just purchased two beautiful partridge hens with solid partridge lineage. What colors can I expect in the chicks?

Thanks for your help.
Peaches2

Update:  As I mentioned before, I have a dark partridge roo with gold threads.  Father was partridge and mother was white.   I just purchased two beautiful partridge hens with solid partridge lineage.  What colors can I expect in the chicks?

Thanks for your help.
Peaches2

I'd guess you'll get a combination of regular Partridge chicks and dark Partridge/black chicks with gold leakage. In fact you'll probably just end up with a few varying shades of Partridge, some quite dark I'm sure.

Thank you so much! The hens should be laying in a week or so but I plan on waiting for one to get broody before I raise any chicks. I'm so excited!!!

Peaches2
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom