Colors

Jubileechicks

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2019
Hi all, I was wondering what color Orpington chicks I can get if I breed a blue splash rooster to a black hen or a lavender hen. Is there a chart somewhere that explains colors?

A blue rooster or a splash rooster? Splash to black will yield 100% blue chicks. Blue to black will yield 50% blue and 50% black chicks.

Lavender is based on black, so the hens act as black when doing the breedings. You'd get the same color chicks from them as when breeding to a black hen, but all the chicks will be split to lavender as well. However it's not a good idea to mix blue and lavender because it can be hard to tell them apart in cases of lighter blues and can mess you up down the line.

A blue rooster or a splash rooster? Splash to black will yield 100% blue chicks. Blue to black will yield 50% blue and 50% black chicks.

Lavender is based on black, so the hens act as black when doing the breedings. You'd get the same color chicks from them as when breeding to a black hen, but all the chicks will be split to lavender as well. However it's not a good idea to mix blue and lavender because it can be hard to tell them apart in cases of lighter blues and can mess you up down the line.
It’s a blue rooster

They are very large birds, how many hens can I put with a young rooster? The birds are all birds I hatched from eggs. I don’t know if the birds are related. From the eggs I hatched I have blues and blacks. The lavenders are from a different place.

Back
Top Bottom