1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colors?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HobbyChickener, Sep 30, 2007.

1. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    What chickens for what color eggs? How many different color eggs are there? I was talking with a friends dad the other day and he said growing up his uncle had a chicken that laid green eggs. What might that one be ? Lt Blue, Drk Blue, Lt Brown, Drk Brown, white, green, what else and who do they belong to?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have just about every egg color there is...I think! My RIR give me beautifull brown eggs...large too! The Pheonix...small creamy whites....the Ameracaunas....some blue...some light green, and one even lays Olive drab colored. Someone in the coop gives me pinkish colored eggs...and a few are a beautifull mauve. The Australorps lay tan, some with white spots! I have to say....my ladies make me proud!

3. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    None that do just green? I just added 2 delaware and 1 road island white. What will they give me, assuming they can lay eggs LOL!

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi HobbyChickener [​IMG]

Your uncle's green egg layer was an Easter Egger. They're sold as Ameracauna or Arucauna by hatcheries, but true Ameracauna's only lay blue eggs. Easter Egger's are a mixed breed with some Ameracauna blood but mixed with other breeds, they lay anything from blue to green to pink, but there is no knowing what color egg they will lay until they do.

Your Delawares and Rhode Island Whites will lay brown eggs of various shades. Egg color is a lot like skin color on people- every individual has a slightly different shade. [​IMG]

5. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I agree with ella

Jean

6. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Ameraucanas and Araucanas are the only breeds that lay blue eggs. No breeds lay dark blue eggs; "blue" eggs are very pale and some consider them really aqua, not blue. there are a few breeders trying to make them darker, like robins eggs. I'd love to do that one day. [​IMG]

As Ella said, the ones sold by large hatcheries are actually mutts called easter eggers. Easter eggers can lay blue, green, olive, grey, yellow, pink, brown or white eggs (all of the possible colors) but not all from one hen. Because they're mutts you don't know what they'll lay ahead of time. Easter eggers are the only "breed" that lays green eggs.

Dark chocolate brown eggs are laid by Marans, Welsummers, and Barnevelders.

Check out the FeatherSite

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by