1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colour after moulting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FreeBirthMama, Oct 23, 2014.

1. FreeBirthMama

FreeBirthMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    I have 3 Sussex, and after their moult one of them has brownish feathers instead of white. The other 2 came back white though. Does that mean anything? Is it just a fluke or is there some nutrient deficiency? Her black neck band was already faint before her moult, but you can really see the colour difference in the pic of all 3 of them together. She's the second from the bottom on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Interesting, makes you wonder if there was another color of Sussex crossed in at some point, maybe a Buff.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old are they?
    Is this their first full adult molt or are they this years pullets getting their first set of adult feathers?

4. FreeBirthMama

FreeBirthMama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    I don't know how old they are, they are second hand chickens. I was led to believe they were this year's chicks, but with half the bunch moulting, I guess not. And they came from a traditional farm, so I can't be sure of their breeding either.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That means she is not a pure Light Sussex. She has some other color mixed in, maybe from a few generations back. It’s not any kind of deficiency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by