Colour genes and sex

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
Hey all, I remember reading something somewhere (can't remember details) which explained why my paint silkie rooster's white or paint chicks are all male with a certain combination of colour from the mother hen.

Last year I hatched some of his babies with a splash laced red wyandotte and a gold laced polish, and the males were white, paint, blue and gold laced. None of the white or paint chicks were female.

Am I misremembering this odd colour gene autosexing? I'm sure it was something to do with dominant or recessive white but I don't understand it.

Anyway, one of his chicks hatched today (mother is gold laced polish) and it is a paint. I'd love to know if the colour means it is male.

Attachments

• 20210618_113058.jpg
    20210618_113058.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 20
Colours don’t mean anything with Silkies. She is likely to be either sex as this point. It is almost impossible to sex a Silkie chick, or almost any breed at this age. It would be practical if you could sex chicks based of colour at this age, but sadly it doesn’t work like that.

Colours don’t mean anything with Silkies. She is likely to be either sex as this point. It is almost impossible to sex a Silkie chick, or almost any breed at this age. It would be practical if you could sex chicks based of colour at this age, but sadly it doesn’t work like that.
I guess passing down colour genes means as much with silkies as it does with any breed.

I wish I could remember the thing I read. Maybe I'll look through some of the old threads on the gene section as I'm sure it was someone knowledgeable here who told me. I probably misunderstood it though.

There's some kind of confusion going on.
The paint pattern or chicks produced with the pattern has no link to sex linking.
Paints don't breed true so you'll get a variation in chicks but it's not gonna determine sex in way you're remembering.

There's some kind of confusion going on.
The paint pattern or chicks produced with the pattern has no link to sex linking.
Paints don't breed true so you'll get a variation in chicks but it's not gonna determine sex in way you're remembering.
I am confused! This is what happens when you get to my age and only half remember things 😂.

My question came about because I got all these from him and they were all boys!

20201019_214554.jpg

I guess passing down colour genes means as much with silkies as it does with any breed.

I wish I could remember the thing I read. Maybe I'll look through some of the old threads on the gene section as I'm sure it was someone knowledgeable here who told me. I probably misunderstood it though.
Could be you were thinking of the fibromelanism being sex linked when a silkie is crossed with orange/yellow legged birds? So was not feather color, but rather skin/shank color you were remembering?🤔
Would not work with your little polish cross chick though.

Could be you were thinking of the fibromelanism being sex linked when a silkie is crossed with orange/yellow legged birds? So was not feather color, but rather skin/shank color you were remembering?🤔
Would not work with your little polish cross chick though.
No, it was the feather colour. Obviously I've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere! 😆

Back
Top Bottom