Colour theories for this baby

MissHolly

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hi all (all the way from Australia),

I'm new here and super excited to have my second ever hatch of chicks from our rooster and hen. I'm not a breeder, and know nothing about chickens, we hadn't even expected chicks (either time) so they are a very welcome surprise :) I really just have... well, 10 now, but it was three chickens (and our rooster) as pets. But I'll put that in a post in the welcome forum when I get in from feeding horses for the evening :)

Basically my question is; what colour do you think this chick could end up being? I have attached photos of dad, "grandma" and "grandpa". I have no idea if our leghorn (she's white) is the mum, or if my super clucky black bantam here hijacked the nest (highly possible, because the eggs were HUGE) I've been looking up photos all afternoon of chicks with "racing stripes" to get ideas - I'm so excited haha

The mum is either a leghorn or this girl below;

This is the dad;

Mum and dad of the little black hen;

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think the Leghorn was the momma. White Leghorns are dominant white as a rule, so the chick would be pretty much white (yellow as a baby). This chick looks silver based. The chipmunk stripes are probably the most common chick marking, it's connected to partridge/wild-type based coloring as a rule, but not exclusively. With your mixed genetics, it's hard to say just how the chick will look, but I'm sure it will be a beauty! To me, that's the fun of hatching mixed breeds, is getting unexpected results that don't look quite like everyone else's birds
smile.png

Oh no, I wasn't expecting for sure answers - just wanting possible ideas if anyone had chicks those colours before what they turned out like.
Had this baby join our brood this morning (not bad considering we weren't planning to breed - 7 chicks so far from 2 hens that we weren't expecting were sitting on fertile eggs at all)
I am 80% sure there's another on the way. I candled her eggs the other night and there were two with a huge amount of veins. So exciting!! I think I'm just as clucky as the hens!!
Hopefully since this is from the white boy, they grow up with more feathering than their mumma, and she throws back to more the silkie than the duccle she has in her.
Anyway, I'm in love
love.gif
so proud of my girls, this is pennie's second brood, and coco (the black ones) first

I'm a bit excited, I think he/she may be keeping the wing pattern - hard feathers are starting to come through with a mottled pattern. I will update with a "week old" photo tomorrow :D

ALSO, woke up to yet another little new arrival this morning, he or she has inherited daddies spots too (from our tawny coloured silkie)

I'm a bit excited, I think he/she may be keeping the wing pattern - hard feathers are starting to come through with a mottled pattern. I will update with a "week old" photo tomorrow :D

ALSO, woke up to yet another little new arrival this morning, he or she has inherited daddies spots too (from our tawny coloured silkie)

So cute!

I'm a bit excited, I think he/she may be keeping the wing pattern - hard feathers are starting to come through with a mottled pattern. I will update with a "week old" photo tomorrow :D ALSO, woke up to yet another little new arrival this morning, he or she has inherited daddies spots too (from our tawny coloured silkie)
Awwww...How adorable <3

Back
Top Bottom