Colours of my silkie chicks?? Pictures**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, May 18, 2009.

1. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    I have 10 buff silkies that are two weeks old. Their feathers are coming in and some of them have buff feathers while others have buff and black. I was just wondering if any of you had this problem if so could you add pictures. Do you think they will grow out of the black or will they always have black feathers.
    Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do you notice the black in there feathers?? It is weird [​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Buff colored birds tend to have some black "smut" in their feathers. Usually most of the black will disappear with a molt if their good quality. It is good to have as less black as possible in the feathers. Where did you get your chicks from? Their really cute!

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That's more than smut--lots of partridge--but not enough.

4. Settler'sDreamFarm

Aug 7, 2008
    Well thanks for replying, it does not really matter what colour they end up as, I am not showing them or anything, I just love silkies! [​IMG] I got them from Performance Poultry in Ontario Canada.
    So, Sonoran Silkies you think they will end up being kinda like a partrige colour?

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I have one that looks exactly like the pics you posted. His/her body is turning out completely buff except for the black wing feathers. I think it's probably common for hatchery buff silkies to have black. Still very cute though!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Since they are from a hatchery, its just bad coloring for buffs. They should end up being buffs, just with lots of black and smut in their feathers.

7. Settler'sDreamFarm

Aug 7, 2008
    georgialee
    Today 10:04 pm I have one that looks exactly like the pics you posted. His/her body is turning out completely buff except for the black wing feathers. I think it's probably common for hatchery buff silkies to have black. Still very cute though!

Do you have any pictures??​

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Somewhere between buff & partridge. You'll have a better idea of their pattern & colour as they finish growing their feathers.

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Quote:That is what I am thinking.

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They're buff. They may molt out to be more clear or they may stay off colored, but they're definately buff, not partridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by