colt with chronic diarrhea? any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MakNat, Oct 28, 2011.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Besides a Vet? Hes been seen, hes 17 months old, resently gelded and I told him about it and he really just kind of blew it off. Told me to give him peptol bismol. It works a little, but not really. I have 8 other horses, of all ages and this colt's half sister. Raised most the horses from weanlings... I've never seen this. Yes they are wormed, shots, coggins, fed quality hay and grain and have grass. Colt seems a little down in the dumps since being gelded, but he had the poops before that. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and may have a suggestion? Thank you!

2. lilcritters

lilcritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    White Church Missouri
    Is he eating off a sandy ground lot? Sand can cause the loose stool but of course worms can too. I had a mini colt get the runs and had some sand in his lot. Put Metamucil in his food and it stopped. Then again he may just be feeling sore still from gelding. Is he draining OK? Eating and drinking???

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    What kind of horse. Back in the day when my mom and I had horses she had one with constant loose stool. It was a flighty Saddlebred. Crazy, jumpy thing, but she loved him..

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Hes on pasture and brought in his stall for feeding, grooming and training. Healed from being gelded. Eats just fine. TWH, very calm and I have 3 other TWHs as well. Its just weird...

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Worm him?

6. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    yes hes been wormed

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It could be the weather....or change of feed or feed that he is eating off could have higher water content.

8. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Don't know if it will help, but when any of mine get kinda loose, I hold back the grain and up the hay. Seems to handle the problem just fine.

HTH

Rusty

9. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Weather could play a role. You can try something like Probios to help his gut flora. I used to use a product called FastTrak, it was a powder supplement. Helped keep good bacteria in the gut.

10. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Sounds like possible worm infestation if it is chronic. Even with regular deworming, sometimes that does not resolve. Or perhaps whatever schedule you have him on is not covering adequately the type of worms he has. Short of having vet check, you can try a double dose of panacure (safeguard) for 5 days and also make sure you use something at least twice a year for tapes (Equimax, etc).

Hope that helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by