1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Columbia Missouri Backyard Butchers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ivan3, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Will be posting this link to this article, but not the commentary, in the Local Laws section.

The Columbia Center For Urban Agriculture held a workshop on how to humanely process a chook (chickens are legal in town), this past weekend.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/aug/22/fowl-go-from-coop-to-cooker/

A bit of the commentary that this article generated:

Badpuppy (anonymous) says...

[FTA] "She then hung the twitching bird by its feet from a clothesline and proceeded to saw off its head with a butcher knife, leaving it hanging for several minutes to let the blood drain. The onlookers applauded"

Translated: A chicken was sacrificed. Then held up for the priestess to be showered in it`s blood. The heathen gods cheered.

dumpersbeware (anonymous) says...

"She then hung the twitching bird by its feet from a clothesline and proceeded to saw off its head with a butcher knife, leaving it hanging for several minutes to let the blood drain. The onlookers applauded"

Translated: A chicken was sacrificed. Then held up for the priestess to be showered in it`s blood. The heathen gods cheered."

After which the chicken was cooked and the heathens were fed. Get over it already, go kill a carrot.

Another commentator `dredged' his criticism through the fog of `blood/feathers/guts/unclean! To which the Urban Agriculturist responded:

bpolansky1 (anonymous) says...
    Fritz:

"To clarify, the Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture isn't necessarily encouraging chicken owners to raise their birds for meat over eggs. The intent of the workshop was to educate chicken-owners on how to deal with a hen in the case that it:

*Stops laying
    *Becomes injured
    *Happens to be a rooster

As far as health concerns, it is absolutely legal to bring home a deer, wild fowl, etc. and process them at your home, as long as it is for personal consumption; and the citizens of Columbia have been doing this for years without dispute.
    There are still open spaces for the next workshop on September 11th, anyone interested in participating, please reserve your bird by contacting [email protected]
    The event is free to the public, and even if you aren't interested in participating, you are welcome to observe!

Billy Polansky
    Columbia Center for Urban Agriculture"

An enlightened burg that, I'm delighted to say, we don't have to worry about being annexed into anytime soon.​

2. StupidBird

StupidBird Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    comments sections in the news are some fascinating bits of reading, aren't they?

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I like the comment "If I can't watch it being done, should I really be eating chicken?" Seeing where it comes from really makes you appreciate your food more. I think everyone needs to know where their food comes from. My sister-in-law shelters her kids about our animals, we are not allowed to tell them that we are going to eat them or even sell them! They have no idea where any of their food comes from beyond the refrigerator. That's going to become a problem for people if things get to the point where the refrigerator can no longer be magically filled with a credit card and a grocery cart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by