columbian ameraucana~possible? genetic gurus....

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I love the columbian color, but it seems linked to yellow skin/shanks which we all know doesn't work with ameraucana. Is there any way to acheive the columbian color with white skin &blue shanks? Thanks

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I don't know the answer, but I bet they'd be beautiful birds.

Krys109uk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
a valley; by a brook.
I don't think columbian gene & the white skin gene have known linkage do they?

Light Sussex have white legs & silver columbian plumage.

One could make an ameraucana with slate legs & columbian plumage.

Last edited:

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
I know there is someone working on them, or at least I think so. I agree with Jody, I think it would be a beautiful variety. I wish I could be more help.

soonerdog

Songster
13 Years
Jan 14, 2007
Poultry Capitol of the World
I've been wondering about how to create Columbian Ameraucana too! I would think the best way to go with producing them would be through obtaining some Light Sussex (columbian based birds) X Silver Ameraucana LF. Choose Light Sussex because they have white legs! According to the chicken genetics calculator the offspring of Columian X Silver Ameraucana (Silver Duckwing) will produce 100% Columbian offspring. Then you would have to continue to breed for the Ameraucana characteristics. I have some birchen EE bantams and on occasion they throw offspring that are very close to columbian.

I also used the calculator to select a Lakenvelder X Silver Duckwing (Silver Ameraucana) and the offspring coloring was 100% columbian.

How accurate is this genetic calculator? Maybe some of the genetics people can help.

Last edited:

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Quote:well, I wasn't sure it was, it was when I looked up all the breeds that come in columbian had yellow skin and legs

klf73

Mad Scientist
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Well, I have some heritage delawares in the bator and was thinking of putting an extra roo over some black pullets and see what would happen....
A white layer definitely would be a better choice...

Top Bottom