Columbian Cochin 1 month old chick dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by suzieq, Apr 27, 2009.

1. suzieq

suzieq Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi,

I realize this is vague but I hatched some Columbian Cochin Bantams in my incubator. Out of eight eggs one chick hatched. I think it is a hen. She has been fine ....alive and kicking ...I actually call her screech....that's how alive she has been. I keep her inside in a homemade brooder. Have done all the usual things you do with chicks....and today when I got home her head is hanging and she is barely hanging on. I gave her some quick chick and sugar water but I know she will not make it. She is making gasping movements with her beak when I was holding her. She is weak and chilled to the touch even though she has a red heat lamp low wattage now on her.

I have never had a chick die at a 5 weeks old...Always int he first couple of days? Anyone have experience with this? or an opinion?

Thanks

Susan

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    OH, I'm so sorry! She must be quite lonely. Are her poops normal? Any bloody looking streaks in the poops? If so, it could be Cocci. Can you describe her living conditions? What type of bedding do you have her on? Is she on chick starter?

3. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Sorry to hear about your chickie. [​IMG] Along with the other questions already asked, is the chick inside your house? If so, do you use non-stick cookware, and if so, have you cooked something "hot" recently? (frying/searing vs. sauteeing/boiling?) Sometimes these pans can give off fumes that can be deadly to birds. [​IMG]

I hope your chickie gets better. Let us know!

4. suzieq

suzieq Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, her poops are normal. She is in a big tupperware crate clear. I has her on paper towels until about a week about a week ago and now she is on shavings....same ones I always use from my feed guy. She eats medicated chick starter and gets water with quick chick.

It is very weird. she is still alive. I am going to give her another sugar water....quick chick dose. It doesn't look good though.

She lives with a beanie baby as a companion. The brooder has a wire frame covering that the lamp sits on.

Thanks

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by