1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Columbian Colored Birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Connorrm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I'm not sure what to call the color - white with the black markings. It's on Light Brahmas, Columbian Wyandottes, etc;

Which breed is good for being gentle, a good flock member, and a good layer? I really want to add some color to my flock!

2. GotGame

GotGame Songster

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I know a lot of people love columbian wyandottes. A good friend has some, they are very nice and I think would fit the bill nicely.

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Here's my young pullet, Kerowyn:

[​IMG]

I find her to be very affectionate, curious, and active. She does show streaks of dominance towards her flockmates though.

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Wondering if I should try to find local, here in NY. I only want a few but it would be nice to get some that are bred locally.

I do like the idea of them, the rose combs would be nice for winter for sure!

5. Connorrm

Connorrm Songster

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Moonkit! She's so pretty!

6. Moonkit

Moonkit Songster

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:Thank you! She isn't laying yet and is still one of the smallest in the flock (about half the size of the silver laced wyandotte pullets I have). Also, she seems to be the most independent. She's the most likely to be foraging alone out of the lot.

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Songster

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:You will find that the Col. Wyandotte is more difficult to locate than a Light Brahma, either are a good choice for long term layers and very docile natured.
    Here are a few Pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by