Columbian Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickndaddy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I was playing around on the internet and ran across a photo of a gorgeous Light Brahma rooster. And then I asked myself, "Wow, what would that look like an Orpington?" [​IMG]

Do they have these in the UK? What would you use to get started? White Orp x Light Brahma or Columbian Cochin? And Buff Columbian? Buff Orp x Buff Brahma? I don't think we have a Buff Columbian Cochin. Either way you would have to work on breeding proper type, comb, and leg color. No feathered feet if you start with the Cochins. I know these wouldn't be as flashy as some of the other Orpington colors like the GLO, SLO, BLRO but they would still be gorgeous.

A Birchin Orpington would be gorgeous too...[​IMG]

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I am at lunch now at work but I have a booklet at home. I will look this up and let you know how it says to go about getting the Columbian.

Let dream big. How about a Lavendar Columbian?

3. Chickndaddy

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Lavendar Columbian

Gorgeous!​

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    You could always start with light sussex and buff sussex, they have single combs, white legs, and are columbian. I have been seeing them on eggbid lately. It would be cool to see a large orp with a columbian pattern.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    BLRO - blue laced red orpington?

Is there such a thing, even in Europe?

-Cindy in MA

6. Chickndaddy

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    light sussex and buff sussex

Duh! *smacks head* How did I forget about the Sussex? All the birds are fairly large so at least you wouldn't have to work really hard to get a huge bird again. So it all just comes down to what traits you want to get rid of: pea comb, feathered feet, or wrong colored legs. Or someone could just work on all three using each cross to expand the bloodline... [​IMG]

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Light Brahma would be your best bet. Cochins would always leave a trace of feathered feet.

It may take several generations but I think it could definitely be done

8. Chickndaddy

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    BLRO - blue laced red orpington?

Is there such a thing, even in Europe?

I know I saw a website where someone was working on them but here is a thread on BYC with a picture of what appears to be BLRO

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=82381&p=2

It is on the second page a few posts down posted by Carrie I believe.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That picture is from a European site. Maybe that's the color I should start working on...combine my love of my BLRWs and my orps.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Nice!

I'm new at chicken genetics, so to those experts out there how would one go about creating a BLRO? Blue orp x blrw then try to breed for the correct comb and lacing?

-Cindy in MA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by