Columbian Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Barry, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched the large white hen from an egg that was labeled Columbian Rock. I can not find this breed listed. Is it another name for a Delaware because that is what she looks like to me.
    [​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Columbian is a Color of Plymouth Rock.

I see a columbian pattern, but I dont know if its a plymouth rock (I dont know the standards for the breed.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    That's right, Plymouth Rock is the breed, and the Columbain color is a variety of the breed, can you get another close pic, in the one you posted, it looks more like a Delaware, I don't know about Canada, but in the US, Columbian Rocks are really hard to come by.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Delawares are not the same as Columbian Rock. Different color pattern, different body type. Dels have barred hackles and tailfeathers (females have tail black, not barring). Columbian Rocks have solid black hackles and sickles. They are not related, though some hatcheries bred Columbian Rock into Delaware lines and rather messed them up.

5. Barry

Quote:Just got back from the coop.
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

I cant see her hackles enough in that picture. Here are my Delawares.
    [​IMG]

Here is my Lt. Brahma, whose coloring would be like a Columbian Rock rather than a Delaware (sorry, I don't have any Columbian Rocks; they are quite hard to find) See the difference in Miranda's hackles as opposed to the Delawares'?

[​IMG]

7. Barry

Is this photo any better? Looks more like Delaware than the Bramha's coloring.
    [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

She looks more Columbian Rock than Delaware, however, with some hatchery stock's crossed lines, that muddies the waters. Many hatchery Delawares do look like that. Where did you get the eggs she hatched from?

9. Barry

Quote:I bought them at a livestock auction so I have no idea who brought them in.

10. speckledhen

What type egg does she lay? My Delawares lay a very rounded, peachy-tan egg. My Rocks (I have Barred Rocks) lay a more elongated, light beigey colored, pointy-ended "egg-shaped" egg. Below is a carton of Delaware eggs:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by