Columbian Thread.......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by soonerdog, Aug 16, 2010.

1. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Want to develop a thread for discussing and posting pictures of Columbian chickens of ALL breeds, both large fowl or bantam [​IMG] .........POST PICTURES NOW!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well Ill get this ball rolling with a twist... [​IMG]

Here are 2 old pictures of young Light Brahma ( Genetically a Columbian )

Cockerel -
    [​IMG]

Pullet -
    [​IMG]

Here are 2 pictures of R.I. Reds ( Genetically a Red Columbian )

Rooster -
    [​IMG]

Hen -
    [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Ok....my turn. I am growing out a flock of Columbian Plymouth Rocks (LF)...here are a few pix from about 2 weeks ago. They are about 17 weeks old now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weather permitting, I am going to weigh/measure/assess the cockerels this afternoon in order to select the 2 I will be keeping for breeding purposes.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nice looking birds everyone!

Yard - some of those rocks appear to have white shanks. I would select against that for Rock breeding, but they may be useful in a while legged breed project - sussex/orps?

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Thanks...I'm having a similar issue with several BR cockerels from SQ parentage. Shanks are really, really light yellow. Breeder keeps telling me that the color will come. Their barring is incredible...like nothing I have ever seen before. That's one reason I haven't culled too many of the Columbians just yet....hoping the same will hold true.

I have 1 pullet in the bunch with BRIGHT yellow legs but her coloration is the least best of the 3. I think I am going to hatch 25-30 this Fall and see what I have come springtime.

I have 1 beautiful White Rock I can outcross to who has perfect yellow legs and EXCELLENT type....I might try that outcross this Fall as well as chicks will be sexlinked. Only pullets will be Silver Columbian.

6. soonerdog

[​IMG] Wonderful pictures! Absolutely gorgeous birds!!! [​IMG] MORE COLUMBIAN FOWL PICTURES PLEASE................ [​IMG]

7. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    Quote:im new to different breeds of chickens and actually raising the chickens but when i was a kid my dad had and i have a pair of rirs now and they have single comb is that a different strain or something?

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    silkydragon,

Rhode Island Reds come in two varieties Single Comb and Rose Comb.
    The Standard call for both varieties to be the same and the comb being the only thing that is different between the two varieties..

Chris

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  9. soonerdog

Are White Black-tail Japs columbian based? If so, wonder why they don't have black neck feathering?

10. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    No they have the Dark Brown restrictor. Columbian forces black out to the extremities,tail,wings & neck hackle; Dark Brown has the same effect but also removes black from the neck hackle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by