Columbian Wyandotte and Buff Orpington- boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Anna_MN, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I was supposed to get all females in my last order but these two babies are making me wonder....They are 5 weeks old. I know it's a little early but there are some very experienced people on here who might be able to give me some insight! Thanks!

*I know they are hatchery birds and aren't the greatest quality. All I want to know is if they are males or females.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    The last four (I don't know if they are of the same bird or not) are/is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000% roo! The above ones look to be possible pullets though. Their feathers seem a bit odd though...like they seem to have bald patches? I guess they are just feathering in still.

3. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    It looks like the Buff Orp is a rooster to me. It is harder to tell with the Wyandotte, the comb isn't red, and there isn't to much wattle development, probably a hen.

4. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    All the pictures of the Buff and the same bird. Dang it! I was hoping my suspicion wasn't right. I really didn't want a roo....

The columbian wyandotte is feathering VERY odd. Other than that it is super healthy- good weight, eating/drinking habits. All of its siblings have every single one of their feathers. I was thinking maybe it was a roo because it was taking longer than the others but this is taking WAAAY longer. And it does appear to have bald patches. Never seen such a thing in a chick before.

5. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    The males do take longer to feather, the bald spots aren't that abnormal. I will say this, it takes 12+ for a Wyandotte to fully mature. So maybe it is a roo???????

6. Angelwings

Angelwings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    The buff orpington is a rooster. Can’t tell about the other one though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by