1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Columbian Wyandotte Bantams from Cackle Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by JRB, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JRB

JRB New Egg

Dec 12, 2008
    Has anyone gotten Columbian Wyandotte bantams from Cackle? If so how were they and could you post some pictures of them?

I know they won't be great show quality, but I tried them from another hatchery and they looked absolutely terrible. I also then bought a top notch pair out of a show and the hen laid at most 1 egg per week all spring and the cock bird was infertile, but they sure looked nice. I guess I am looking for a happy medium. Might cross a show strain (assuming I find a fertile one) with a decent hatchery strain, but need to find a decent hatchery strain first.

On a side note wouldn't it be great if BYC started a thread for each variety from each hatchery where folks could put up photos of the birds they got when mature. Sure would make deciding where to order easier and might put a little pressure on the hatcheries to do a little better breeder selection. The way it is now we have to sift through the whole site looking for pics. Just an idea.

2. halecards

halecards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I haven't ordered Columbian Wyandottes from Cackle, but I have orderd barred rocks, black jersey giants, ducks, and turkeys from them. I personally was NOT impressed with there birds. They recall to have purebred poultry, and they do not sell purebred poultry, well not to me anyway. They have nice customer service though.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have not seen CWs from Cackle, but I sure can tell you that Meyer birds are not to snuff. I have one (and have seen SEVERAL posts now) that didn't feather out fully until about 12 weeks, and the other has a straight comb.

Nice personalities though - I've heard wyandottes can be standoffish, but mine come running as soon as they see me and are just a hair less outgoing than my rocks.

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm going to go ahead and bump this one...anyone have anything new to report? I'm ordering lots of bantams from Cackle this year and have been impressed with what I've seen of several breeds, I'd be tickled to know if it's worth messing with their Columbian Wyandottes.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have 13 CW from Meyer and have 3 straight combed ones. I did have two hens that took 12+ weeks to feather, but they are all nice looking birds and lay well. They are not show birds, but straight combs are not just a hatchery problem. They show up in Wyandottes from time to time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by