Columbian Wyandotte Chick really Easter Egger? Pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moxiechick, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    We got 8 chicks one week ago, and thought we knew who was who, until some feathers started coming in. We thought Columbian Wyandotte chicks were either yellow or greyish with a yellow face. Our "Shirley", is very dark, and she has eyeliner, so we thought that she was an EE. That is, until the yellow chick, "Lola", that we thought was the Columbian Wyandotte, started to develop green legs and light barring on her wings! Neither have the really poofy cheeks like our other EE, Sassafras.

Do we have things the right way 'round now?

Here is Shirley, who we now think is a Columbian Wyandotte.
    [​IMG]

Side view showing her "eyeliner".
    [​IMG]

Imitating "Mumble" from "Happy Feet".
    [​IMG]

Wings
    [​IMG]

Here is Lola, who we now think is an Easter Egger
    [​IMG]

Front view, to show her comb
    [​IMG]

Wing
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Your little yellow chick looks just like one I got a week ago from MPC. She has the puffy cheeks and lots of wing and tailfeathers. Her legs are yellowish with a bit darker color than the Delaware sisters. We are pretty sure she is an EE. The picture was about 4 days ago.

[​IMG]

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Yep! You had them mixed up! [​IMG]

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Shirley is definitely a Columbian Wyandotte. I had 16 this spring & they ranged from almost pure yellow to almost black like Shirley. Most were yellow with smoked gray on their backs, but they all turned into white chickens with the proper black areas. I thought for a few days that they had sent me extra GLW chicks that my sister ordered, but they ended up being Columbians.

5. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Thanks for the input everyone! [​IMG]
    Now I'm wondering if she may end up being a rooster. She is the only chick to not have a developed tail yet. Is that normal by 1 week? I've read here before about roos being slow to develope tails. Her other behaviors don't indicate anything masculine. She's not bossy in any way. In fact she is one of the more mellow chicks.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Don't stress too much yet. I had a RIR from MPC (not the one I posted in the gender thread earlier) that was SLOW to feather and was really friendly so I was positive it was a roo. It's now 12 weeks old and has the smallest comb of all of them and zero pink so I'm pretty sure it's really just a friendly hen. Start stressing at like 4-6 weeks if any of them sprout up huge red combs (or later for the EE's).. [​IMG]

7. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Lol! Actually, I'm not too stressed. While I ordered all pullets, I'm secretly hoping I might get one roo. Just one though! [​IMG]

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Shirley is most certainly not a columbian patterned chick.

9. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    H'mmmmm.... Does anyone have any pictures of columbian wyandotte chicks they could share? I searched the web, but there aren't that many examples out there.
    Is it the eyeliner that is making you think she is not Columbian? [​IMG]

10. Moxiechick

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Well, we think Shirley is definitely a Columbian WYandotte! Lots if white feathers coming out of that dark little body. Still thinking "she" might be a "he" though!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by