Columbian Wyandotte or Light Brahma

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MinerQuad, May 15, 2010.

1. MinerQuad

MinerQuad Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    I rescued 3 lovely ladies from an auction this afternoon. One is a Red Sex Link an the other two are perplexing me! Is there a distinction that I'm missing? They are approx a year old, not sure what the egg looks like because they haven't laid yet. They are very nice although they've been making it known that Betty and Bonnie (my buff orps) are not going to boss them around. They could very well be cross but I was just curious if anyone could give me a clue. They both have a small patch of feathers going down onto their legs, which was a reason I suspected Brahma. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MinerQuad

May 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Brahma

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There a Cross....
    Light Brahma and maybe a Silver Penciled Wyandotte hard to say. But there not pure Brahma...

Chris

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:A agree they are a brahma cross. The one that is pure light columbian colored looks like she would be Light Brahma X Columbian Wyandotte. And the looks like Silver Quail like from a Silver Penciled or Silver laced Wyandotte X Light Brahma cross.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Whatever they are - they are pretty!!! Glad you got them!!!

7. MinerQuad

May 2, 2010
    Thank you everyone! I'm glad I got them too! I was putting in some serious detective work on these new ladies. I am new to chicken keeping and am thoroughly enjoying my pretty girls. I am going to have to practice more restraint!

Is there a noticeable distinction to determine what is a Light Brahma and what is a Columbian Wyandotte? Do Brahma's always have feathered feet?

Thank you!

Amanda

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, brahmas should have feathered feet. A wyandotte should have a rose comb. I agree that they are mixes.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes Brahmas should have heavily feathered feet, pea combs, and kinda mean, bulldog looking faces. The Wyandottes should have clean leggs and rose combs.

10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    I would guess a brahma cross. The other side of the family history was clean legged, although they display a high tail set, I think not wyandotte, the combs should show some rose comb influence. I suspect a single combed bird, possibly columbian rock cross on the clean backed hen, silver penciled for the other? The eggs will taste the same regardless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by