Columbian Wyandotte Shy? Mute? or Gay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neverbdone, Oct 22, 2011.

1. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Ok, I have 35 hens, 1 Welsummer Roo (Aramis) the boss, 1 Light Brahma Roo (Porthos), and 1 Columbian Wyandotte (Athos). Aramis and Porthos crow (although Porthos was a late bloomer) but he finally got a nice thick crow. Originally he sounded like a WWII blackout siren.

Athos has turned out to be a well rounded roo and really mello, but he NEVER has crowed. I have only seen him mate one time. But he is a really good watcher of the hens, always perfectly groomed, and never has a feather picked at, dirty or out of place. So, what do you think, shy, mute or gay?

They are all really nice roos and don't fight or cause any problems and not even close to the stew pot which I have had to do before. I'm only curious if anyone else has a totally silent roo?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Often times the subordinant rooster will not crow or show authority. Some will not mate when you are around. You may not see him, but he might still be meeting with the girls. Or, the dominant roo makes him not mate.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Athos is third in line isn't he? I bet if the other roos were removed he would rise to the occasion. Too many boss roo's and they would be fighting.Don't rule him out.

4. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    I'm planning to separate one set at a time by breed to my spare coop in spring to hatch pure breeds from the three roos. Glad he will be able to have fun for a month or two. Maybe he will have a crow to give me once he is separated with HIS girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by